The StingRAY – our utility-scale wave power system – represents the culmination of over 10 years of academic and corporate development. The system is based on a design philosophy that values simplicity, high efficiency and durability. In line with this philosophy, we’ve incorporated a number of unique design choices to help ensure we deliver a competitive cost of energy:
- direct-drive means minimal moving parts
- permanent magnet generators are an efficient and proven way to generate electricity
- single-point mooring reduces our footprint and costs
- sub-system modularity to allow for rapid and efficient maintenance and repair
- composite structure delivers strength and long life, while avoiding corrosion
In our product development effort, we emphasize stepped-scale testing. In the past three years for our third-generation system, we’ve run our models for thousand of hours, tank-tested prototypes four times (including three and five unit arrays), and successfully completed thirteen month sea trials of an intermediate-scale prototype.
We’ve received two patents on our system and currently have four pending applications in the national stage entry process.